Wednesday, June 15, 2011

To Hell and Back


I have been to Hell and back and it was one terrifying ride. I have looked down into the jaws of death, was given access to hidden canyons and upper forests, and I made it home in one piece.

Ok, I just went to southeastern Utah which is a magical land of slot canyons, mysterious hoodoos, and paved roads with names like the Hog's Back.

Bryce Canyon is a tame place full of bright colors and interesting rock formations. It was a great way to warm up for what was ahead.

We headed on up Highway 12, and stopped at a slot canyon with a small stream flowing through it

After that we drove over a road called The Hog’s Back which has deep drop-offs on both sides in one place and no railings.


That wasn’t enough excitement for one day, so we took a dirt road into a forest with the name of Box-Death Hollow.


Once we came to Hell’s Backbone and drove over the one-lane bridge that connects the deep gulf between two mountains, I saw this sign.

We didn’t go that way, of course, and cheated death that day.

Oh, and one more thing. In the midst of all this is a Five-Star Restaurant, called (of course) The Hell’s Backbone Grill.







4 comments:

Julianne said...

Are you sure you didn't go through some portal to Mars? That's what it looks like to me. It looks really neat. I want to go now!

Jerry said...

The trip was fun for me. Thanks for hanging in there (literally).

Audra said...

AWESOME! Can't wait to try that trip. Not sure if I am brave enough to go off road.

Geevz said...

SO Pretty! You should bring your pictures friday!